Social services are offered to the public. Child Welfare SA-Matatiele social workers and other qualified staff operate from an office located in Matatiele. Although a wide range of social services are offered, the focus is to promote the interests, well-being, safety and development of children within the context of family and community. This is accomplished through various avenues.
This is accomplished through various avenues
• Alternative care is arranged for children in crises situations, and Child Welfare SA-Matatiele endeavours to develop the capacity and quality of foster care. Currently (2010) over eight hundred fostered children are monitored in foster families who receive ongoing guidance, support and supervision.
• Professional counselling is offered to traumatised children.
• Adoptions are also arranged for childern where there is absolutley no prospect of reunification or suitable foster care.
• Educational programs are presented in schools and communities to make children aware of the options available to those in threatening and distressing situations.
• Oversight, management and support of the Crossroads Child and Youth Care Center.
• Provision of services and awareness related to HIV/AIDS.